TheMostReadBook.org

An English translation of the Quran that is as close as possible to the Arabic sacred text
View active topics
  Verse(s):    
View unanswered posts

Post subject: Verses 40:82-85
PostPosted: 05 Jun 2009, 03:56 

Go to previous segment   Go to next segment

Suggested translation1,2:

-------
1This translation may have been updated from the original suggested translation as a result of the discussions that follow.
2Click on the {verse number} of a translation to see other good translations of the verse.

Go to previous segment   Go to next segment

Post subject: Re: Verses 40:82-85
PostPosted: 26 Sep 2013, 21:21 
Site Admin

Quote:
{40:82} Have they not traveled through the land and observed how was the end of those before them? They were more numerous than themselves and greater in strength and in impression on the land, but they were not availed by what they used to earn.

I suggest,
{40:82} Have they not trekked through the land and observed how was the consequence of those before them? They were more numerous than themselves and greater in strength and in impression on the land, but what they used to earn had not availed them.

Quote:
{40:83} And when their messengers came to them with clear proofs, they [merely] rejoiced in what they had of knowledge, but they were enveloped by what they used to ridicule.

I suggest,
{40:83} And when their messengers came to them with clear proofs, they reveled in what they had of knowledge, and what they used to ridicule enveloped them.

Quote:
{40:84} And when they saw Our punishment, they said," We believe in God alone and disbelieve in that which we used to associate with Him."

I suggest,
{40:84} And when they saw Our firmness, they said," We believe in God alone and disbelieve in what we used to associate with Him [in worship]."

Quote:
{40:85} But never did their faith benefit them once they saw Our punishment. [It is] the established way of God which has preceded among His servants. And the disbelievers thereupon lost [all].

I suggest,
{40:85} But their faith would not benefit them once they saw Our firmness. [Such is] the way of God which has preceded among His worshipers. And the disbelievers thereupon lost.